Dr. Susan Strauss RN Ed.D has worked as a registered nurse (RN) in the operating room, pediatrics, medical-surgical, psychiatry, and public health. She is a seasoned health educator working with a variety of community, education, and professional groups. She has also been the director of healthcare quality improvement, director of education and development, and held other healthcare leadership roles. Susan’s involvement as a Wellness director adds to her knowledge on fitness, stress, and establishing wellness programs. One of her specialty areas is bullying and harassment in healthcare- working as an expert witness for lawsuits, training, and conducting investigations.. She researched physician abuse to RNs in the OR to determine if the abuse varied based on the gender of the nurse.
Dr. Strauss has authored over 30 books, book chapters, and articles, as well as written curriculum and training manuals. Susan has been featured on 20/20, CBS Evening News, and other television and radio programs as well as interviewed for newspaper and journal articles such as the Times of London, Lawyers Weekly, and Harvard Education Newsletter.
Susan has presented at international conferences in Botswana, Egypt, Thailand, Israel, and the U.S., and conducted sex discrimination research in Poland. She has consulted with professionals from other countries such as Israel, England, Australia, Canada and St. Maartin. In addition to her RN, Susan has a master’s degree in community health science, and holds a doctorate in organizational leadership.
You can purchase Susan’s book, “Sexual Harassment and Bullying: A Guide to Keeping Kids Safe and Holding Schools Accountable” by clicking here.
To find Susan:
@StraussConsltng on Twitter
And here are additional resources shared with us by Susan:
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient-and Family-Centered Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Community. (2011). The Joint Commission. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/LGBTFieldGuide.pdf
- When Health Care Isn’t Caring (2010). Lambda Legal. http://www.lambdalegal.org/sites/default/files/publications/downloads/whcic-report_when-health-care-isnt-caring.pdf
- Straight for Equality in Healthcare (2009). Parents, Famlies and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) National. http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=297
- LGBT Health Disparities Persist, But Nurses Can Help http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/page-1/NRS-301368/LGBT-Health-Disparities-Persist-But-Nurses-Can-Help
- The Nursing Care of Lesbian and Gay Male Patients or Clients http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/78577/002018.pdf
- What Each of Facebook’s 51 New Gender Options Means http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/15/the-complete-glossary-of-facebook-s-51-gender-options.html
- THe Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2011/The-Health-of-Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-and-Transgender-People/LGBT%20Health%202011%20Report%20Brief.pdf
- How Many People are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender? http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Gates-How-Many-People-LGBT-Apr-2011.pdf
- Straight for Equality in Healthcare http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=297
- Consideration of the Institute of Medicine Report on the Health of Lesbian, Gay,Bisexual and Transgender individuals http://report.nih.gov/UploadDocs/LGBT%20Health%20Report_FINAL_2013-01-03-508%20compliant.pdf
- Primary Care of GLBT Patients http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Libraries/Committee_Docs/LGBT_PrimaryCare_1.sflb.ashx