On episode 252 of RNFM Radio, we dig into our main topic of why the heck we all became nurses anyway. If you want to hear the back story of how and why Ashley, Sean, and Keith decided to take the plunge, you’ll then understand how our journeys have been so different. (You’ll also learn what General George Patton’s butt has to do with Keith becoming a nurse.)
Nursing Notes Segment
In the Nursing Notes segment of the show, Ashley held forth on what forensic nursing is all about (and it’s not really CSI: Miami). Still, it’s a really cool specialty that’s worth exploring. Here are some links to resources mentioned on the show:
- HIPAA Privacy Program at The University of Chicago Medical Center
- Courses approved by the International Association of Forensic Nurses are listed here.
- Forensic Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice
- What is Forensic Nursing? – The International Association of Forensic Nurses
- Evidence Collection for Nurses – www.RN.org
- Moment of Impact: Forensic Nurses video
- Forensic Nursing Documentary Trailer – Forensic Nursing
In our “Stump Sean” segment, Ashley posed the following questions to Sean about blood transfusions:
- What is the difference between platelets and plasma and why would a patient need a transfusion of either or both
- Name up to 8 symptoms associated with a blood transfusion reaction
Do you know the answers? Listen in to see how Sean did this week!
Keith’s Mentor Moment
Keith’s career coaching mentor tip for the week is to review your resume every six months. Even if you’re super happy in your job and have no plans to leave, you may need your resume when you apply for a promotion, a committee position, or to be on the board of a favorite non-profit.
If you live in a state or country where Daylight Savings Time is practiced, make sure to review and update your resume at those times of year. You can also tie your resume updates to the first days of spring and fall, the summer and winter solstice, or the times when you change the batteries in your smoke alarms. Just do it.
Your time and attention are off the hook!
We want to thank each and every one of you for listening to the podcast!
Hey, did you know that there’s a Pulse Media Network listeners’ group on Facebook? That’s right; you can hang out, talk about your favorite podcasts, and even interact with podcasters from the network. Head on over there and enjoy!
It would be our honor if you would leave an honest review and rating on iTunes. They are incredibly helpful for us and we take all of your feedback seriously.
We encourage you to reach out to us via email or call or text if you have any questions or comments.
Also, don’t forget that you can take us wherever you go by using the mobile apps listed here. If you liked this episode, or if you have any tips or suggestions, then please share and comment below.
Thank you, RNFM Radio Community!